Custom Font FAQ
The Monotype team understands that not every font problem can be solved with an off-the-shelf solution. While it would be nice to have a ready-made font for every situation, this is often not the case.
The process of developing a custom font or bespoke font starts with Monotype working together with you to answer the following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Do you have an existing font that you want to start from, or will Monotype create a new typeface design?
- Is it a single font, or a family with numerous weights and styles?
- What is the design criteria, what is the audience?
- In what countries will the font be used?
- What languages and scripts need to be supported?
Font Formats/Operating System
- What platforms will the fonts be deployed on: Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Unix, Embedded?
- What font formats: Bitmap? TrueType? OpenType?
Quality for On-Screen Display & Printing Output
- What applications will the fonts be used in: Microsoft PowerPoint, Adobe InDesign, others?
- What type of display technology will be used (CRT, LCD, etc.)?
- Are there specific sizes that need to be tuned for readability?
- If Monotype starts from an existing typeface do we need permission from the original type designer/foundry?
- Is the font for your company’s internal use, or will you distribute it?
- Do you want exclusivity on the custom design?
The above questions represent a sampling of the questions we ask to help define the scope of the project and determine the specifications from which we can provide a quotation.
To learn more about Monotype’s custom font and bespoke font services or to enquire about your specific needs, please contact Monotype.